Volunteering at Little Hiccups can be a really rewarding and useful experience – and there’s probably more ways of doing it than you might think.
Little Hiccups promotes volunteering opportunities. We recognise that there are situations in which help from volunteers can make a significant and appropriate contribution to the work and service objectives of our organisation.
Volunteers can be described as people who put their experience, knowledge and skills at the disposal of an organisation, free of charge, with the primary aim of helping the organisation to achieve its service objectives and/or with the aim of bringing benefit to the local community. Volunteers will be officially accepted and welcomed into the Charity.
Volunteer opportunities at Little Hiccups are currently supporting:
Stay n Play Sessions & Family Fun Days
Volunteers will report to Little Hiccups Committee running the sessions.
Stay n’ Play hours are currently Thursdays held at Leeds Mencap 1.00pm-2.30pm
Family Fun Days are held approximately once a month, either on a weekend or during school holidays. Times will vary depending on the event type.
- Setting/clearing up sessions for either Soft Play or Sensory Room ensuring that all the equipment is safe to use.
- Meeting and greeting families
- Providing support, if requested, to parent/carers in cases of over stimulation. Only to be carried out as a last resort and by appropriately trained volunteers.
- Ensuring that all the Safety Guidelines of the rooms and venues are followed.
- Providing refreshments to attendees.
- An interest in the needs and welfare of children with additional needs.
- The ability to relate to and engage with families
- An understanding of the issues facing families who have a child with additional needs
- A commitment to equal opportunities and a non-judgmental approach
- Effective listening and communication skills
- Reliability and punctuality